Thursday, November 15, 2007

More pages

Another of my favorite spreads, the idea came when I found the images of burning money. I decorated a pack of matches with my hmp and a piece of shredded real money.
For the left spread, I began with images from several magazines, then added three red buttons for effect.

I added fake coins to the coins in the right image. I began with strips of scrapbook paper (a way to use up the scraps), then glued the image over them.
I built this simple spread around the title I found in a magazine. I used press on letters for a simple spread. It was actually too simple, since you can see the gold ink that bled thru from the next page.
The left spread started with a small, but significant image. I added importance to it by placing it over two mats.

For the right side, I wove different sizes of Christmas paper ribbon to form the grid. I then inserted a rose made from play money that I colored with highlighters.
My first ever pop up. I know it is simple, but when it's your first, it's meaningful. Collage pieces include hmp, sale stickers, tape transfer, and pages from coin brochures.
I loved the image on the left, so wanted to dedicate an entire page to it. I found one that didn't have text, so I could showcase it.

On the right, I started with a page from a legal pad, then using my finger, spread paint on the paper. The three diamonds and the Krugarands (shape of dollar sign) are raised using dimensional dots.
A Mexican tradition is to give 13 gold coins to the newlywed couple at the wedding. The background was lightly sprayed with cranberry color mist. The dimensional pieces were created by laying a piece of punchinella (sequin waste) on the page, then spackling over it with dimensional spackle. I tore one edge of the mat for effect and used a corner punch to mount the image.
I had several pictures of piggy banks, so dedicated two pages to them. The background is strips of scrapbook paper and the title is printed on hmp. Real coins were added on the left with E6000.
One of my favorite spreads, I made the art doll on the left and an angel on the right from money. The background is gesso mixed with green paint. If you don't see the angel, start with the halo and work your way to her coin foot.
For the left spread, I used different stickers to create the title. On the right, I found the image first, then found the title. I used crayons to color the background.
"I heart Ben to pieces." You might need the larger view to see that I raised some of the puzzle pieces on the left using dimensional dots, as well as the heart and the word "to." Images are from various sources.
Want to know about Ben? Click on the image for a larger view and you will learn about the security thread, the watermark, the paper, micro printing and serial numbers. The black in the upper right is not part of the spread, but an errant fiber.
Green vellum and mulberry paper were used for the background. The image was from a Numismatics pamphlet.
If I could do the left side over, I would move the message. I didn't plan very well. It reads "Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs repairing." I should have learned that lesson before I got Bleubeard, my 18 lb. cat.
This is one of my favorite spreads in the book, possibly because it is so colorful. I was drawn to the image and wanted to mirror it on the page. I began with gesso, then added a bit of red acrylic, which turned to pink when mixed with the gesso. Next I swiped blue acrylic , then sprayed black webbing on the page. Finally, I glued on the image. Chocolate coins should never be added to an AB if you own a cat. Bleubeard went nuts over the smell and pawed and scratched at this and other pages in the book. Apparently, chocolate is better than catnip in his world.
Shaving cream paper was used for the background on this two page spread. The images were from magazines and the green embellishment is a bamboo leaf. These images came in a brochure and I immediately thought the guy could be retired. From that, I modified the old saying to read "Give a man a fish and he'll eat today. (on left page) Teach a man to fish and he'll retire in wealth." (on right page) I printed the saying on colored printer weight paper, then added the images and the wire.
The crab at the top holds the tag with the fish hook I found in a magazine. The backside of the tag reads "I'm hooked on cash."
I demoed the background for this two page spread on ABC. The left background was made using cardstock, the right side using a brown paper bag. For some reason, I seem to love clock hands. I used them and poker chips as embellishments on a spread otherwise filled with magazine images and words.
The background for this spread began with quarter wrappers. I colored the wrappers using a rinse aid resist technique I demoed on ABC. It was one from Claudine Hellmuth's second book. Next I added the images which came from various magazines.
This is another background I demoed on ABC and another example I made using one of the completed backgrounds. I then glued the spread into the book. Here's another technique I experimented with: Claudine Hellmuth's peeling paper, found in her Discovery Workshop book. I was lucky enough to find the dollar images in a newspaper that was printed on beige paper. I think I peeled to much at the bottom, so tried to hide it using green paint with glitter in it and magazine images.
I love interactive pages, so I was thrilled when I found the two scale images. I began by cutting a piece of heavy cardstock (heavy to withstand opening and closing) and adding the scale. Then I punched holes for the brads and carefully scored about 1/2 inch in. I added the background paper, then the image that I attached using brads. That way I was able to position the inside photo in the proper place.

For the right side, I added some marquee cut gems to the spread and mounted it on a mat helter skelter.
When you open the flap, you see a smaller image of the same scale and the title I gave to the page.
I named this page "Patriotic Money" because I used every patriotic image I had. The message this spread conveys is as relevant today as it was a year ago when I made it. From the patriot act, to politics, to dogs of war, to money and our flags as prominent symbols of America, these images send a definite message about the USA and our money. The blue background used on both pages is a wallpaper sample from a wallpaper book.
Way back in 2006, when I was nearly half finished with this book, I found the image on the right on a cover of a trade magazine. At the time, it was predicting the future of our money. I placed some scrapbook paper with circles behind the bulls eye image.

The left side started with the credit card I placed in the middle third of the page. Months later I got the little stickers advertising different credit card looks, and knew exactly where to put them. Sometimes you just have to let a page sit until it firmly develops.
Adding pockets to a page is one of the first things you learn when making an AB. Normally you use a lot of pages, typically one or two for each pocket. I didn't want to waste all those pages, so I used scrapbook paper and cardstock to hold the ATCs I got in a money swap in 2004, as well as Chinese money and a few tags that didn't fit in my accordion pockets (shown later on this page). I decorated the pockets with faux money and a real money band from my bank. This is a closeup view of one of the tags in the pockets. I found the "ribbon" in a magazine and it was printed on both sides. I just had to staple it to this tag. Although you can't see it, hidden behind the tag and the $500 bill is a $100 air freshener, still in its package.
I found many of these coins in a Numismatist catalog and others from an ad I got thru the mail. I used scrapbook paper for the backgrounds.
I loved these images, even though they didn't exactly go together. When I saw the money rolled into the padlock on the right, I immediately thought "Secure" so that's what I named it. The background is a green napkin.

2 comments:

artmixter said...

Amazing! Congratulations, it's great work!

Nona said...

WOW! You really did a great job with this theme! Thanks so much for sharing!