Thursday, November 15, 2007

Accordion pockets and tags

One of the first techniques I saw demoed by Beth Cote on the Carol Duvall Show were these accordion pockets. Cote used coin envies, I used bank envies. After cutting off all the top flaps, I painted the envelopes with green paint and sprayed them with Color Washes (Lettuce and Bottle) from Ranger. Cote used double sided tape, I used a thin strip of white glue along the length of each pocket down the middle only. From thereon, I did not follow her instructions. She cut tabs the width of the pockets, I did not. I simply collaged both pages, then attached the set of pockets, open end facing out, to the right side of the page using craft glue. I held the pockets in place with clamps until they dried. Then I realized that I loved the left side of the page and didn't want to cover it up with the accordion. To make the accordion work, I had to attach it, so I collaged the left pocket using heavy paper and CS, then attached both sides of the Velcro to it. Next, I closed the book and the Velcro stuck in the correct place on the left side.
You can see how the pockets fit together in this picture and get a decent view of how I painted and decorated the pockets.
The left page was too much fun to hide, so you can see the entire page here, along with the way I decorated the end pocket. I did this because I needed something stiff to hold up under the constant opening and closing of the Velcro.
Here is a better view of the page I didn't want to cover up.
What would pockets be without tags? This was a chance for me to use all those small images that were too cute to ignore, but not big enough to warrant a separate page in the book. It was also a chance for me to practice a bit of collage composition, something I'm not very good at.

I cut all the tags from used manila folders and either colored them or covered them with scrapbook paper, mulberry paper, handmade paper, or wallpaper samples. I arbitrarily assigned "front" and "back" to these tags, but there really were no front and back, only first and second side as you pull it from a pocket.
Back side of above tags.
Front side of second set of tags. My scanner held three tags comfortably, so that's all I scanned at one time. The top tag in this set incorporates the "points" I removed from the rectangles of one of the tags. I try not to throw anything away.
Back side second set of tags.
Front side of third set of tags. Right bottom tag has a piece of an old record that I stamped using white Brilliance ink and a Stampin' Up vintage key.
Back side of third set of tags. The bottom right tag has a picture of a ten dollar bill that has "In God We Trust." Below that I added "All others must pay cash."

1 comment:

Nona said...

The bank envies were a choice of genius! And I love your punning and plays on idiomatic expressions!