Friday, November 16, 2007

The Fortune: An AB about money

I started this book in either late 2005 or early 2006. I started collecting images way before that, because I liked the idea of money for a book. I liked it so much, I even created a Money deco which 10 talented artists worked in. I didn't start the book because I didn't have a good book for it, even though I have many books I could alter. A neighbor was moving and asked if I wanted a ton of her Danielle Steele books. I looked at them and they were very sturdy. One was called "The Fortune" and I knew the time had come to begin this book.

I didn't take any photos or scans of this book as I was making it because when I started it, I didn't have a scanner. My computer or ISP had a major meltdown in late 2006, so I was offline for nearly two months. In that time I created most of my work. It just goes to show what staying off the computer can accomplish. I was able to create nearly 2/3 of the book during that time. The rest has been tinkering and thinking about how I would finish the cover.

I have spent the last three days scanning, photographing, and uploading to blogger, images of this book. The pages are in the order they appear in the book, however, they are not in the order I created them. This is the first time any pictures of this book have appeared anywhere on the internet. The only people who have seen this book are those friends who have come to my house.

I reference several background techniques that I don't explain in the text. The reason for this is because I have tutorials on them, but they are only on ABC, the altered book yahoo group I help moderate. After I take a short break from the computer, I will add them to my main site. When I do, I will edit my blog posts on this site, referencing the exact page for the tutorial.

I used at least five bottles of Elmers White or School glue on this project and I quit counting after I had gone thru 10 glue sticks. I am not a fan of glue sticks, but some of the magazine images were so thin, I had to use them. Also, I used a glue stick anytime I used a napkin, paper towel, or hmp (handmade paper). I always applied the glue to the page, not the thin or fragile paper.

I hope you enjoy reading about this book as much as I enjoyed making it. Now that it is finished, I can't wait to share it with everyone in the AB community. As always, you can click on any image to get an up close look.
The front and back covers and inside front were cut from a tee shirt. Because the edges were a bit wonky, I added the green satin ribbon to finish the edges. I also made a plate using polymer clay. Even the little simulated brads are made of polymer clay. I attached the tee shirt using iron-on wonder under and the poly clay using E-6000.
From front to back, this is what the book looks like as it will be displayed.


As you can see from some of the bent and torn pages, my cat Bleubeard, got to my book. Find out why when you read the text.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Elizabeth! What a wonderful altered book you have created. I remember the money deco well. This must be the great granddaddy to it! I will have to come back several times to see it all.