Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Back pages of book

The back spread of the book contains two niches. I cut these in a block of about 30 pages using a craft knife after I glued the pages together using gel medium and securing with clamps until dry. The secret is to coat only the outer edges of the pages. I inserted a self healing mat behind the last page and cut the niches. I also cut one loose page at the beginning of the block. Then I glued a lid from a plastic eyelet container in the window of the top niche and placed the real foreign money inside. Since the back cover was already ironed on, I was now able to glue the block of pages to the back inside cover.
The small perfume bottle was the perfect size to hold the shredded money. You can buy this at the US Mint in Washington D.C.
This side view shows how much the perfume jar protrudes from the niche. I substituted it for the one I originally cut the niche for. You can see that the niche isn't very thick.

The luscious background paper was gifted to me by my friend Kathy. She made it using Bounty paper towels and alcohol inks. Isn't it just the perfect the end to this project?

Thanks for looking at my money book. I hope you've enjoyed it. It was a fun book that took me over a year to make. Of course, I worked on it off and on, some days doing as many as 10 spreads, then going weeks without even touching it. It was a true labor of love.

2 comments:

Nona said...

The love and enjoyment shine through on every page. It truly is an awesome accomplishment, and well worth the time.

Diana Meade said...

Nobody can ever say, "It's only money" about your book. There is so much attention to detail, so much to see and touch and experience in this book of fortune. An amazing amount of creativity was spent altering this book and well worth the price.